Do you sometimes find it difficult to eat healthy when you're on the go? Are you looking for a quick and easy-to-make, yet nutrient-dense lunch that you can take to work? I got you covered ;)
These raw nori rolls are a great source of plant protein, which regulates blood sugar and thus helps reduce sugar cravings. Nori is also high in iron, iodine, calcium and magnesium — great for healthy skin and blood, strengthening the bones and for feeling energized. Many people tend to be deficient in magnesium these days — and eating sea vegetables is one great way to replenish your reserves!
While nori is low in calories, the sunflower seed paté will make this wrap a satisfying lunch. Sunflower seeds contain essential fatty acids and they're a great source of vitamin E, B1, B3, B6 and trace minerals like manganese, selenium, magnesium and phosphorus. Sunflower seeds are real nutrient bombs, and by soaking and blending them, their nutrients will become even more easily available to your body!
Sounds great? Let's get to the recipe.
NORI ROLLS W/ RAW SUNFLOWER SEED PATE (serves 1)
A blender or food processor.
For the paté
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 2 to 6h, then drained and rinsed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- thumb-size piece of onion
- 1 tbsp raisins (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh herbs (like wild garlic, chives or parsley)
- dash of pepper
- 1/3 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 small zucchini, spiralized
- 1/2 cucumber, slices
- handful of leafy greens (I used mustard greens)
- Prepare fillings: spiralize zucchini, slice cucumber, wash your greens.
- Throw all paté ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend/ process until a hummus-like paté is formed. If necessary, use your tamper or scrape down the sides of your container every couple of seconds.
- Assemble nori rolls: cover a nori sheet with the paté while leaving 4cm space both at the top and the bottom of the sheet. Add some zucchini/ cucumber/ leafy greens/ other fillings you fancy on top of the paté, but not too much. The more fillings you add, the harder it will get to wrap it all up.
- Now take the bottom (4-cm uncovered piece) of the nori sheet and wrap it over your fillings while tucking everything together as you roll. Then tighten the wrap with the top of your fingers, so that the fillings sit tight in your wrap.
- Wet your fingers with a little bit of water and slightly wet the top 4-cm uncovered piece of the wrap. Now the nori becomes sticky so you can 'close' your wrap.
- Cut the nori roll in two with a sharp wet knife.
- You can store leftover paté in the fridge for up to 4 days. Also delicious with crackers or veggie sticks!
Looking for more easy raw vegan snack ideas? Try these crunchy red bell pepper guacamole boats!